Resources > Vegan Recipes > Adzuki Bean & Sweet Potato Bake
Adzuki Bean & Sweet Potato Bake
Sourced from: Adventure Yogi
You can substitute miso paste for tahini (hulled sesame seeds).
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus a little extra for the sweet potato
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tsp chilli flakes, plus a little extra for the sweet potato
- ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- thumb-size piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated, plus a little extra for the sweet potato
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 150ml coconut milk
- ½ vegetable stock cube
- 225g adzuki beans (either tinned or soaked overnight in water)
- 1 tsp yeast extract
- 1 heaped tsp miso paste
- 100g peas (fresh is better, frozen is okay)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and finely sliced into rounds
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion, carrot, garlic and chilli flakes. Cook until the onion becomes translucent.
Add the red wine vinegar and cook over a high heat until it evaporates.
Reduce the heat and add the grated ginger, followed by the tomato purée, coconut milk, peas and stock cube. Simmer until the vegetables are soft.
Drain and rinse the adzuki beans and add to the saucepan, along with the miso paste and yeast extract. Simmer gently for 10 minutes and transfer to a casserole dish.
In a mixing bowl, stir the sweet potato slices with a little olive oil, grated ginger, chilli flakes and salt. Line the top of the casserole with the sweet potato slices, overlapping where necessary.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for a further 20 minutes until crispy and golden.
Return to Vegan Recipes