Top Twenty Rush Songs (According to my Phone)
Rush is a prog rock trio from Canada who retired after a long 40 year career.
The band was composed of the singer and bassist Geddy Lee, the electric guitarist Alex Lifeson, and the (late) drummer/percussion specialist and lyricist Neil Peart.
If you wanna see what they look like in 1978, here's a nice photo of them crammed together in a car. Their look and music style changed a lot over 40 years.
About This List
The first Rush songs I heard were The Necromancer (Caress of Steel, 1975) and Xanadu (A Farewell to Kings, 1977) but early this year I discovered more of their music and an obsession developed. I now own all their album releases in mp3 format and have listened to all their studio and live recorded albums.
I thought using a most played list might be a way of objectively sharing my favorite tunes. A few of the items on this list I think are mostly played because they appear directly after other songs on the same album which were played a lot (e.g. Territories after Marathon, Red Sector A after Afterimage, Farewell to Kings after Cygnus X-1). For some different tunes, I made a Favorite Rush songs list which includes even more songs.
My top songs vary between my phone and PC so I added some extras after the initial top twenty for a bit more variety.
(1) Closer to the Heart [Farewell to Kings, 1977]
(2) Far Cry [Snakes & Arrows, 2007]
(3) The Pass [Presto, 1989]
(4) Marathon [Power Windows, 1985]
(5) Madrigal [Farewell to Kings, 1977]
(6) Mystic Rhythms [Power Windows, 1985]
(7) Time Stand Still [Hold Your Fire, 1987]
(8) The Garden [Clockwork Angels, 2012]
(9) Cygnus X-1 Book One - The Voyage [Farewell to Kings, 1977]
(10) Distant Early Warning [Grace Under Pressure, 1984]
(11) The Big Money [Power Windows, 1985]
(12) The Manhattan Project [Power Windows, 1985]
(13) Force Ten [Hold Your Fire, 1987]
(14) Roll the Bones [Roll the Bones, 1991]
(15) Anthem [Fly By Night, 1974]
(16) A Farewell To Kings [A Farewell To Kings, 1977]
(17) Territories [Power Windows, 1985]
(18) Afterimage [Grace Under Pressure, 1984]
(19) Middletown Dreams [Power Windows, 1985]
(20) Animate [Counterparts, 1993]
Top Twenty Rush Songs (According to my PC)
I'm adding some extras that were non-overlapping with this list in the Top Twenty most played songs on my PC.
(2) Vital Signs [Moving Pictures, 1981]
(4) Red Sector A [Grace Under Pressure, 1984]
(7) The Enemy Within [Grace Under Pressure, 1984]
(8) Fly By Night [Fly By Night, 1974]
(10) Best I Can [Fly By Night, 1974]
(11) Making Memories [Fly By Night, 1974]
(13) Beneath, Between & Behind [Fly By Night, 1974]
(15) The Body Electric [Grace Under Pressure, 1984]
(17) Open Secrets [Hold Your Fire, 1987]
The top played Rush adjacent song is Still from Geddy Lee's solo album, My Favorite Headache, because I played it on repeat all day.
It has been played more than any Rush song on this page, believe it or not.
(1) Still [My Favorite Headache, 2000]
The Albums Represented
Some links to the albums (outgoing links to the official Rush website):
- Fly By Night (1974)
- Farewell to Kings (1977)
- Moving Pictures (1981)
- Grace Under Pressure (1984)
- Power Windows (1985)
- Hold Your Fire (1987)
- Presto (1989)
- Roll the Bones (1991)
- Counterparts (1993)
- My Favorite Headache (2000)
- Snakes & Arrows (2007)
- Clockwork Angels (2012)
If there are any Rush fans out there on Neocities, give me a follow!